Monday, July 12, 2010

Lassi (Rosewater Yogurt) Popsicles

From my humble corner of the kitchen world, I'm not quite sure what to make of the molecular gastronomy that's happening at top restaurants. While I chop vegetables and simmer marmalade, chefs at fancypants venues are rendering ingredients unrecognizable. I'm still in awe of things like slightly savory ice creams (I literally started giggling the one time I tasted a pink peppercorn sundae), and can't imagine vegetables turned into squishy bubbles, peanut butter and jelly rendered into powder, or air and smoke considered legitimate ingredients. It's all far beyond me these days. The closest I come is turning a drink into a popsicle.

I've always been a big fan of lassis, the yogurt drink enjoyed at Indian restaurants. Usually they're featured flavored with mango, and occasionally show up salted instead of sweetened (which can lead to disappointing mistakes, unless you favor a savory beverage). But my favorite is the plain sweet lassi. As someone who always picked vanilla ice cream over strawberry, that's probably no surprise. But the sweet lassi is far from plain. It's got tang from yogurt, a bit of sugar to sweeten, and rosewater to lend a lovely perfume (beware overdoing it, or it might be a bit too much like perfume). I also like to mix in a bit of cardamom, though it's still sweet and refreshing without. I know it's pretty humble, but on days like these it feels like the perfect bit of kitchen magic.

Lassi (Rosewater Yogurt) Popsicles

I freeze my popsicles in these nifty molds I bought with some cooking store credit, but you can use anything: paper cups, a loaf pan (slice after freezing), or, adorably, shot glasses. If you don't have handled molds, you can pick up popsicle sticks at a grocery or craft store. In a pinch: chopsticks! You can also substitute buttermilk for both the yogurt and milk, for a nice variation.

2 cups yogurt (low-fat yields an icier pop, full-fat is creamier)
1/2 cup milk
6 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp rosewater
1/4 tsp cardamom (optional)

Whisk together all of the ingredients. Let sit a minute, and then whisk again until the sugar has dissolved. Pour into your desired posicle mold, and freeze until firm (usually overnight). Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm making these! I have orange flower water instead of rose, so I may try that until I get some... I love mango lassi too, and I suspect they taste so much better when I order them out then when I make them at home because they are using whole fat yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think that nonfat yogurt is more or less the same animal as regular yogurt. And then I taste regular yogurt and think Ooooooh, yeah.

    ReplyDelete